Krita portable.

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Apr 27 15:50:01 UTC 2012

On Friday 27 April 2012 Apr, Simon Legrand wrote:
> BTW, I know it doesn't fit the Linux dream nor that it work well with
> the way that KDE is meant to be a set of packages who can all depend
> on each other.
> But I work in VFX and I know my industry would absolutely go crazy for
> a package like Krita to replace potatoshop on TDs worksations. We
> desperately need it.

Well, I want people to use and enjoy Krita, and I want Krita to be free software :-).

> The catch is most studios are either on KDE 3.old or some other WM.

That would make it easier to make standalone packages, actually -- no conflicts :-).

> I only know of one giant studio who uses KDE4

Even that is possible. My company (KO GmbH) actually has a customer who developers a KDE4 application and they do that on a KDE4 desktop with a different set of libraries. All it takes is setting all the right env. variables, hacking around a bit and some perseverance. The packages will be big, but hey -- that's a sign of quality!
> (starts with a W and is
> making a movie about a ring) but sadly I don't work there anymore. So
> now I have to start dealing with outdated linux machines again.

If we could get some budget from these studios, and I'm not talking about huge amounts of money, I'm sure we can create these packages.

I'm also sure our community is open to funding specific features as needed, by the way.

> Long story short, I wonder if we could Flattr someone to do this...

For windows, I'm working really hard on some funding right now... I'm not sure about flattr, but that might be lack of familiarity with the concept.