[calligra] krita: save mirror, erase, composite op and mirror settings to presets

Silvio Heinrich plassy at web.de
Sun May 29 06:08:05 CEST 2011

On 05/29/2011 12:22 AM, David REVOY wrote:
> Hi Silvio,
>
> I disagree here with you. This actual behavior speedup a lot my workflow
> here and usage with Krita.
> http://david.revoy.free.fr/forums/krita/2011-05-28_krita-preset_deevad.zip
> I did this brushkit (link above) with taking advantage of it ; check the
> HSY color airbrush, and dodge explosion brush ; the result is I can
> build my preset and be sure about the result I will got after select
> them to paint.
>
> But I also understand your point of view even if I don't use it this
> way. Anticipating multiple usage are the way of a good software ; and I
> don't want to impose a way to do.
> So, I would suggest to add a icon acting as a checkbox in the top tool
> bar to 'lock' the opacity and blending mode. (
> http://www.new-hampshire-locksmith.com/lock_icon2.gif ) . If user 'lock'
> the preset won't load global opacity and keep the active blending mode.
> A design like this can make happy all the way to use it , imo. Say me
> what you think about it.
> Best regards,
>
> -David

Hmm... ok :)
I think you did misunderstand me.
I think you just want to be able to save a blending mode to a preset,
so that you don't have to set it manually every time.
That is fine and I want this too.

But there are various issues with the way it is done currently.

1. A preset should be able to overwrite the global blending mode but
only --> explicitly <--
This means having an option in the preset editor where you can choose
the blending mode
you want to use for this preset.
When this option is activated, the global blending mode will be overwritten
by the blending mode from the preset (when the preset is loaded).
If this option isn't activated, the global blending mode should not change.

2. I see no reason why the global opacity should be saved to the preset
since
we now have a slider in the opacity option in the preset editor.
It does exactly the same. The global opacity option is simply for
changing the
opacity quickly while you are painting, so that you don't have to open
the preset editor
every time. If you want to save the opacity, just change the opacity in
the preset editor
save it and let the global opacity at 100%.

3. There is no user feedback what actually will be saved. Sven said that
he saves the
Mirroring options too... I mean these are also global options that
normally affect all paintOps.
This breaks the UI logic. For example. It would be the same if you go to the
preferences, go to "Tablet Settings" and change something. Then you save
a preset and the
"Tablet Settings" will be saved to the preset and every time you load
this preset the "Tablet Settings" will
be changed. It should be obvious that this would be really confusing,
since the tablet settings
are considered to be global.

4. I don't know exactly what Sven changed but it seems to be a bit
fragile :P.
Some of the presets you gave to me are not usable/broken (they have this
red cross after loading).
And there is this strangle behavior that when loading a preset that uses
the "Wash" painting mode
and then loading a preset for the color smudge brush the painting mode
is not set back to "Built Up".
But the color smudge brush doesn't work in "Wash" mode (this is why i
didn't include this option).
Ok, I will be fair. This could also be caused by the broken presets.
A while ago I noticed some similar behavior. I think a broken preset can
somehow mess up
the internal state of the whole preset system.

This is why I think Sven should better reverse this commit until we have
a proper solution for this.
Sorry :(
Later we want to able to save a gradient as color source to the presets,
too (because Ramone wants to port his gimp painter presets to krita and
this is requires then).
And you want to be able to save an image to a preset so that we can
combine it with the brush tip to give the brush stroke more texture (you
remember?).
I think we cannot avoid to make some modifications on the whole brush
system to implement those features in a sane way.
I just want to say that we should not start hacking in features just
that we have them right now.
This will only cause problems for later development.