Suggestions for a shortcut for Save Incremental Version

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat Jun 18 12:20:03 CEST 2011

On Saturday 18 June 2011 Jun, Adam C. wrote:
> Imo we should clean up the menu a little bit, as we have quite a lot of
> saving functions, which leads to confusion. We have "save", "save as",
> "save incremental", "save backup", "export", "export to pdf" and
> "versions". The last one is greyed out here and i don't know the purpose.
> i suppose that most users don't know the difference between export and
> save as (we can also save jpegs in save as), how could they know the
> difference between save incremental and save backup?

The difference between save, save as and export has been bugging me for many years, at least since 2006. For gimp, it was the topic of a huge interaction design effort, but users seem only partially happy with the results. It's also mostly defined in calligra libs -- making it harder to change.

> I've quickly tested in the designer, if it's possible to add tool tips,
> but it doesn't seem to work. what works are status line messages, maybe
> this is an option?

Status line messages are a good point.