Call for ideas: requirements for Krita tool actions system

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Jun 5 14:30:09 CEST 2011

On Sunday 05 June 2011 Jun, Silvio Heinrich wrote:
> On 06/05/2011 01:40 PM, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > On Sunday 05 June 2011 Jun, Dmitry Kazakov wrote:
> >> 12) On some modifiers, like Ctrl and Space, the current tool shoud be
> >> switched to another one temporarily, like to Color Picker Tool and Pan Tool.
> > We did that before, but the users didn't like it because the option widget changed. I think that we should have two kinds of tools: normal, and temporary, where the temporary tool only changes the cursor but not the option widget.
> >
> > When should we move back to the first tool? On release of shortcut, or on pressing another key? We had the p->pan, b->back to freehand shortcuts, but users didn't like those.
> We should move back when releasing the shortcut keys.
> I don't know if it really matters if the tool option widget will change
> because when releasing the shortcut keys the options
> should change back anyway...

I know -- but the users we had back then when this was the system disliked the flicker of changing widgets a lot, which was the reason for putting pan and picker in the freehand tool in the first place.

 >> 13) Canvas rotation should be accessible from all the tools.
> >> 14) The tool's stroke and decorations should be cancelled on pressing Esc.
> >> 15) Mouse Wheel should do Pan/Zoom in all the tools.
> > Maybe we can implement that in the canvas, instead of in the tools?

> Pan, zoom and rotation are implemented in the canvas but there should be
> 3 separate tools to access this functionality

What I meant was, handle the mousewheel event in the canvas code, instead of delegating it to the tool. otherwise, those functions will stop when the user selects a flake tool. Additionally, we can/should have dedicated tools, of course.

Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org