Call for ideas: requirements for Krita tool actions system

Gábor Lehel illissius at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 09:45:51 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 05 June 2011 Jun, Silvio Heinrich wrote:
>> > We did that before, but the users didn't like it because the option widget changed. I think that we should have two kinds of tools: normal, and temporary, where the temporary tool only changes the cursor but not the option widget.
>> >
>> > When should we move back to the first tool? On release of shortcut, or on pressing another key? We had the p->pan, b->back to freehand shortcuts, but users didn't like those.
>> We should move back when releasing the shortcut keys.
>> I don't know if it really matters if the tool option widget will change
>> because when releasing the shortcut keys the options
>> should change back anyway...
>
> I know -- but the users we had back then when this was the system disliked the flicker of changing widgets a lot, which was the reason for putting pan and picker in the freehand tool in the first place.

I wasn't one of those users and don't have the relevant experience,
but: when a tool-shortcut was pressed, did only a single widget/docker
change appearance, or did it cause entire continents of the window to
reconfigure themselves (whether because they also changed, or because
of cascading resize and layout changes)? I strongly suspect it
would've been the latter, and that kind of thing can indeed be ugly,
slow, and disorienting, so I can definitely understand users'
annoyance with it. If there were some way to *ensure* that only a
single docker morphed into a different one, staying the same size,
without causing any of the other dockers to react to it, and that this
happened instantly and seamlessly, I don't think I would have a
problem with it. (Just speculation, though... I may be using all kinds
of mistaken assumptions here, in that case, apologies for the noise.)