(Artists check this out) On the project to make a robust mixing texturing brush engine

David REVOY davidrevoy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 10:56:56 CET 2011

Hi :)
Here are my thinking about the brushes :

1) For simulating hair, custom brush mask does really well the job
normally ; no need of a special brush engine for this IMO  ( exept if a
tweaking as I refer in '5' can work ) ;
ref :http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=259468

2) For dragon scale and textures ; dynamic layer effect such "bevel and
emboss" make magic when painting on. I miss it a lot from my Photoshop
old usage.
ref : http://nebezial.deviantart.com/art/a-dinosaur-scale-tut-62206529

3) Of course , embedded texture in stroke ( working with brush mask )
are ideal. I spoke of it yesterday on IRC with N-pigeon :)
ref:
http://media.smashingmagazine.com/cdn_smash/wp-content/uploads/images/photoshop-brushes/texture.gif

4) About mixing brush , this is what I wait to make krita equal to the
feature I abuse of Gimp-painter , this feature is present in SAITool ,
Open Canvas, Project Dogwaffle , Painter, Artrage etc... a must have for
painting apps ... Weirdly appear in Photoshop only at CS5
ref:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/hecartha/Software/Photoshop-CS5-003-1.jpg

5) I would really like to get the brush engine of Lukas ( hairy and soft
brush noise ) can thicker the noise ( limited to one pixel ) . I already
talked about it, but it seamed really complex to replace the 1pixel
noise by a bigger size. The 1px width is not really usefull when
painting in HD/Printing quality, because it add more noise. ( exept for
the fake charcoal of the arabian teapot I drew month ago ; at 100% size
of the viewport )   SAITool looks to have the same kind of brush engine
where the noise particles can be thicker : it result with really cool
pastel/chalky effect for noise ; and for hairy brush really cool brush
strokes ( they name it Oil ) . I guess this is faster to compute than
bitmap brush mask.
ref:
http://th09.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2010/042/9/9/PaintTool_SAI__Brush_Options_by_ArtSmokerToy.jpg
ref :