UI Improvement to the brush dialog

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Sun Oct 24 16:02:40 CEST 2010

On Sunday 24 October 2010, LukasT.dev at gmail.com wrote:
> > 1) Add a multiplier combobox to some of the KisSliderSpinBox. It would be
> > seen as a combobox (with choice like x0.1 x1 x2 x10...). The idea is that
> > sometime I work with small brush diameters, and it is difficult to select
> > with precision the diameter, so I would restrict the diameter range to
> > 0->10, and add a 1x, 10x and 100x multiplier. Similary for the scale of
> > predefined brush, for now, we have the range 0->2, David wants to
> > increase the maximum value, personnally I have the oposite problem, I
> > have big brushes (~1000x1000) and I sometime want to scale them more
> > than 0.01 (or with greater precision), so there I would change the range
> > to 0->1 and have x0.1 x1 and x10 as multiplier. We could also use the
> > multiplier idea for spacing.
>
> It seems to me from the mockup that it is element I don't like there. It
> eats space of course. Would about hiding this into Configuration dialog?
> I'm not sure how often you need to change from x1 -> x2 -> x10, but if it
> is not very common, configuration would solve the problem with eating
> space.
For the size of predefined brush, it depends of the brush and especially of
its original size. For the size of "auto brush" very often. It is not a
setting that depends on your style of painting, but on what you want to draw
next.

Also while it takes space, it actually increase the precision of the slider.
And I don't think I would want to go to krita settings to be able to switch
between the 0->10 range and 0->100 range for brushes.

> > 2) who knows what the value on the curves correspond too ? So we need
> > axis legend. And rather than just values, I think we can be a little bit
> > smarter.
>
> Yes, I already had that in my mind. Last time I was surprised about
> opacity. It is 0 till 100 when pressure is in 0.0 - 0.5 and then it is
> always 100 from 0.5 - 1.0 as it is thresholded.
Same as for size, I remember someone on irc that was confused as to why size
would go from 0 to 200%. I am not sure why it is so.

> > For instance, for "size", I would indeed use values,
>
> maybe percents would be smart: like 200 %
ok

> > Not sure about mirror, I don't know what the curve does.
>
> If the pressure is in 0.0 - 0.5 , the mask is nor mirrored, if it is in 0.5
> - 1.0, it is mirrored. I was mapping Photoshop feature to sensor :)
ok so "mirrored" "no mirrored" would do... but a bit long, so maybe an icon.
Or a preview.

> > And for softness
> > (why don't we use the same word for softness and fade ?)
>
> I don't know why it is called fade in Krita. Softness/hardness is common in
> painting apps, right?
Because it is a fade :) Personnaly, I don't care for the name, I just want
uniformity.

> > we could have a
> > circle brush that represent both extremeties.
>
> Not exactly sure, I would go for values here. It differs for softbrush
> mask/fade mask (a.k.a default)
ok.

> > Same ideas for sensors legend, "pressure" would say "low pressure" /
> > "high pressure" the angles would use the arrow icons mentioned above.
> > For tilt we could show a pen and a paper with different angles. Not sure
> > about time, distance, fade and fuzzy, maybe just use the values for
> > them.
>
> I don't know here. Sensor legend is different from curve legend, right?
yes, value is vertical legend, sensor is horizontal legend.

--
Cyrille Berger Skott