Action plan 2

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue May 18 08:35:30 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 18 May 2010, Sven Langkamp wrote:

> There a three possible ways: tool, paintop and composite op
>
> As tool is what most other apps have. It has the advantage that it would be
> easy to discover and can be used with all paintops.
> The disadvantage is that it can't be used with shape tools.
>
> With an erase paintop, the shape tools can be used with the erase paintop.
> On the other hand the paintop can't be used with other paintops.
> It also duplicates the pixel brush paintop.
>
> Composite op erase works with shape tools and any paintop. It would suffice
> for any usecase, but it's very hard to find.
>
> So the questions is: Is is better to fallback to erase composite op when
> using a different paintop (erase paintop) or when using a shape tool (erase
> tool)?
> Of course you can have all, but the outcome of an eraser tool, with erase
> paintop and erase paintop would be a bit unpredictable ;)

Hm.... How about not having an eraser tool, not having an eraser paintop and
having a toggle button in the top toolbar that switches between the current
composite op and the erase composite op? That automatically makes it possible
to have a nice shortcut, makes the erase function clearly visible and we could
still support flip-the-stylus for erase.