Action plan 2

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Tue May 18 01:38:32 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Cyrille Berger <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:

> On Monday 17 May 2010, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > >      2- merge pixel, eraser, pencil, mix and soft paintops (Better
> break
> > >
> > > presets now, than when we'll have millions of users :p)
> >
> > True. Though I'm not sure about merging eraser and pencil.
> Well, to be honest eraser only exists because people would not think about
> using the eraser mode in the freehand tool ;) (me the first) They already
> have
> issues with finding eraser as paintop...

There a three possible ways: tool, paintop and composite op

As tool is what most other apps have. It has the advantage that it would be
easy to discover and can be used with all paintops.
The disadvantage is that it can't be used with shape tools.

With an erase paintop, the shape tools can be used with the erase paintop.
On the other hand the paintop can't be used with other paintops.
It also duplicates the pixel brush paintop.

Composite op erase works with shape tools and any paintop. It would suffice
for any usecase, but it's very hard to find.

So the questions is: Is is better to fallback to erase composite op when
using a different paintop (erase paintop) or when using a shape tool (erase
tool)?
Of course you can have all, but the outcome of an eraser tool, with erase
paintop and erase paintop would be a bit unpredictable ;)