Upgrade to 2.2.

Silvio Grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Mon Jun 21 21:58:51 CEST 2010

Hi everyone,

> John Culleton wrote:
>Most of Koffice  (KWord, Kpresenter  etc.) is frankly junk. Open Office is
better program by program.

Well, if we want really be honest Office 2010 is the real champion among
Office suites :-) :-)
Joking aside, given that Office 2010 is not Open source and it is not
supported by Microsoft on Linux, I think it is not "fair" to compare Koffice
with OpenOffice.
OpenOffice is supported by Sun (now Oracle) which hires many developers for
working full time on it.
On top of Oracle, there is also Novell which is sponsoring it by releasing
its OpenOffice suite: Go-oo  [1] .
Needless to say, there are full time developers in Novell too. For Calc, for
example, Kohei Yoshida  [2], just to name one.
Even IBM "sponsors" OpenOffice through its Office suite [3].

As for me, I have tried Koffice 2.2 on Kubuntu Lucid Lynx and in my honest
opinion it is a big improvement compared to its previous releases.
Probably it is not so good as OpenOffice 3.2.1 but it is certainly not
"junk" :-)
Kexi, for instance, is probably on par with OpenOffice Base.
In conclusion, Nokia is now supporting Koffice. Hopefully, things are going
to change for the best :-)

> But Krita is unique among Open Source graphics programs.

I totally agree :-)
In my opinion, Krita, compared to other "similar" open source graphics
programs, such as MyPaint, Alchemy, Gimp has only a real "disadvantage" in
that it is "difficult" to install it on other platforms such as Windows and
Mac (yes, I know about Virtual Machines such as VBox and so on...).
As a consequence, most users don't know about its potential.
For instance, installing Gimp on Windows and Mac is a breeze...
Naturally, also the lack of documentation for Krita (tutorials, videos,
manuals and stuff) has its importance :-)

Best regards,

Silvio

[1] http://planet.go-oo.org/
[2] http://kohei.us/