koffice/krita/ui/tests

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Jun 21 21:56:42 CEST 2010

On Monday 21 June 2010, Dmitry Kazakov wrote:
> > > I don't know how to fix it as it seems to depend on Qt's QUndoStack
> > > much. So i just wrote the test for the problem. What do you think
> > > about it?
> >
> > I don't know how to fix it either. Maybe we can find a way to make the
> > transform tool be able to coalesce many changes without messing with the
> > undo
> > stack, that was always very unstable.
>
> Yeah, that would be the best solution. Speaking truly, i'd like transform
> tool to work in overlay(?). Like "Line" and "Rectangle" tools. And commit
> to undo stack then.

Well, I want to have direct preview of the actual transformed pixels, but I am
fine with copying the selected pixels to a QImage and transforming and showing
that on top of the layer stack. A bit like the hack pippin discussed for gegl
on irc.

> Btw, do incremental transformations lower the quality?

No: all transforms are collected in one transformation and that is done on the
original image after the user is done with the tool.

> Maybe we can do something using the tool activation/deactivation (or a
> timer
>
> > with a pause) that commits the complete transform in one action.
>
> Timer :(. I'm afraid we will end up with the same undo stack signals. I
> think we need a button (big and red! :) ) that will end transformation,
> commit it into the stack and remove "hands" from the canvas. After pressing
> this button, editing of the previous transformation will not be possible.

No, I wouldn't go for the big button. Other apps manage to work without a big
button, we must be able to find a way to do this right as well.