New feature for review

enki enkithan at free.fr
Sat Nov 7 20:03:38 CET 2009

Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 November 2009, LukasT.dev at gmail.com wrote:
>

>> Is this patch acceptable for the autobrush so far? Can I commit?
>>

> First of all, I don't think the method names are ok:
>
> void KisBrushOpSettings::changePaintOpSize(qreal x, qreal y) const
>
> -> I don't where this is called, and the name doesn't make it clear to me what
> it actually changes.
>
> void KisAutoBrushWidget::setAutoBrushDiamter(qreal diameter)
>
> -> it's diameter, not diamter.
>
> Further, I'm not sure whether this is the right approach. I think it would be
> better to have a scaling factor that is applied to the brush before we apply
> the scaling for pressure.
>
> There are a couple of issues that need to be answered beforehand, though:
>
> * what is the function of brush resizing in the painting workflow: is it to
> create a new brush variant for later reuse, or is it to fit the brush size to
> the detail level you are working on (and if so, is it useful to also keep the
> brush size constant while zooming in and out -- I would love that,
> personally).

That depend of the use case:
-Meticulous/technical people, old-school photoshop/painter users and
mouse users may prefer static presets.
-"Raw" artists, digital painters and tablet users will prefer to
dynamically resize as they paint to fit details.

I still think changing the size depending on zoom is a false good idea,
as it would break the workflow in several cases :

Generic precision work: Currently, when you have a 1000 pixel canvas. it
is easy to know that a 500px line will cover half of it. You can do
precise works if needed.

Line art: When you draw, you often want to zoom in to get a higher
precision, and zoom out to make nice smooth long curves, but don't want
to to change the size of the brush. Same problem in Web-design with
border lines.

Pixel art & icon design : At high zoom levels, changing the zoom won't
always work as expected, because size can only be an integer. The zoom
may change without changing the brush size.

Complex Paintops :
- If you're not careful, you will freeze Krita just by zooming out and
drawing a line.
- There is several way to increase the size (diameter, scaling,
scattering...). If you change the diameter automatically without asking
the user, you prevent him from using other scaling features he might prefer.

So I think it should be optional, and disabled by default, because it
only fit to a digital painter's workflow using simple paintops.
> * should the gui reflect the new base brush size, and if so, how should we
> show that for gbr/abr/gih brushes?

Yes.
I think there should be a new diameter slider+spinbox widget above the
spacing setting.
> * when should the brush size be reset? If a gbr brush is resized, do we keep
> the new base size for that brush tip when we select a different brush tip,
> then select the old one? Or do we apply the factor also to the new brush tip?

I agree with m4v on that. It should remember the size per dab, until the
user reset it explicitly to default size.When you click another
Predefined Brush, the last used settings of the other brushes are loaded.