New feature for review

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Mon Nov 2 09:22:52 CET 2009

On Sunday 01 November 2009, LukasT.dev at gmail.com wrote:
> Basically I want to be able to change the size of the brush quickly. So I
> implemented the wishlist [2] a bit and now we have two possibilities. The
>  old patch is not applicable at the trunk anymore :/ I hoped you to review
>  little faster ;( .
>
> Here is the new patch [1] and now when you press Shift and drag with mouse
> left/right the spray brush changes it's size. Change the cursor mode to
>  _brush outline_ to see changes.

About the patch itself, I think it would be better done using
KisPaintOpSettings::mousePressEvent (and probably adding the related
mouseReleaseEvent/mouseMoveEvent).

> If you would move up/down, different behaviour can be coded, like the wish
>  list is saying e.g. setting the softness in default paintop. Better brush
>  outline preview should be available but that is long-time aim.

A more complicated alternative to do that would be to show an "on-canvas
editor" (I think we discussed that in the past), so pressing "shift" would
show some handles for size, softness, spikes, rotation, and then the user
would click on the handle and move it. The advantage of the editor approach is
that it solves the issues of the different behaviours, as well as giving visual
clue even if the user do not use the outline mode. Inconvenient, it is much
more work.

So if you do not have time to do the full editor, my suggestion for that patch
is to use the KisPaintOpSettings::mousePressEvent instead of introducing a
changeSizeBrush. And leave the wish open as a reminder for the full editor
thing.

About this patch vs the wheel patch, I think having two way of changing the
size of the brush is an abuse of a limited ressource (shortcuts and mouse
"gestures"), so I would favor picking only one of the two. And as enkithan
mentioned it, the shift+mouse has the advantage of working for tablet, and as
I said above, in the future to implement a full blown "on-canvas brush
editor".

--
Cyrille Berger