New feature for review

LukasT.dev@gmail.com lukast.dev at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 13:17:25 CET 2009

On Monday 02 November 2009 09:22:52 Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Sunday 01 November 2009, LukasT.dev at gmail.com wrote:
> > Basically I want to be able to change the size of the brush quickly. So I
> > implemented the wishlist [2] a bit and now we have two possibilities. The
> >  old patch is not applicable at the trunk anymore :/ I hoped you to
> > review little faster ;( .
> >
> > Here is the new patch [1] and now when you press Shift and drag with
> > mouse left/right the spray brush changes it's size. Change the cursor
> > mode to _brush outline_ to see changes.
>
> About the patch itself, I think it would be better done using
> KisPaintOpSettings::mousePressEvent (and probably adding the related
> mouseReleaseEvent/mouseMoveEvent).

Why?

Boud said he wanted something more abstract. So I decided not to bring those
events to paintop and I created the method. This way e.g. wheel can be
configured to change brush size. Although this is not good example as it is
obsolete now.

I think the code should be in freehand as it is more logical for me. It's
Freehand business how it manages the events. My feeling of good design...

> > If you would move up/down, different behaviour can be coded, like the
> > wish list is saying e.g. setting the softness in default paintop. Better
> > brush outline preview should be available but that is long-time aim.
>
> A more complicated alternative to do that would be to show an "on-canvas
> editor" (I think we discussed that in the past), so pressing "shift" would
> show some handles for size, softness, spikes, rotation, and then the user
> would click on the handle and move it. The advantage of the editor approach
>  is that it solves the issues of the different behaviours, as well as
>  giving visual clue even if the user do not use the outline mode.
>  Inconvenient, it is much more work.

Yep, I prefer that code evolve. So far we don't have anything and I would
start with this and I'm open to on-canvas editor for future.

> So if you do not have time to do the full editor, my suggestion for that
>  patch is to use the KisPaintOpSettings::mousePressEvent instead of
>  introducing a changeSizeBrush. And leave the wish open as a reminder for
>  the full editor thing.

I will CCBUG the wish.

> About this patch vs the wheel patch, I think having two way of changing the
> size of the brush is an abuse of a limited ressource (shortcuts and mouse
> "gestures"), so I would favor picking only one of the two. And as enkithan
> mentioned it, the shift+mouse has the advantage of working for tablet, and
>  as I said above, in the future to implement a full blown "on-canvas brush
>  editor".

Ok, wheel is obsolete for me now.