Transform Tool

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Feb 20 12:06:39 CET 2009

On Wednesday 18 February 2009, Sven Langkamp wrote:

> What should be done with the selection? There might be a global or local
> selection on the source layer.
> In the case that the source layer has a local selection, the transformed
> selection should become a local selection of the new layer.The selection of
> the source layer should be deselected.

Actually, I'd say: the selection of the source layer remains what it was,
untransformed. The new layer gets a new local selection, transformed and well.

> If there is a global selection it become tricky. We could add the
> transformed global selection as a local selection and deselect the global
> selection, but the user might not know how local selections work. Also
> local selections are only show if the layer with it is active, so the
> selection could get lost from the user point of view. The other possibility
> is to transform the global selection in place.

If there's a global selection, I'd say, transform it, but let it remain
global.

> While the tranform tool work, the user can't change the target
> layer/selection. So either the target layer/selection would need to be
> locked or the transformation is aborted if some other operation is done.
> In the first case the layer needs to be locked by the tool until the
> transformation is finished or the tool switched (not unlockable by the
> user). The second way was done in 1.6. the transformation was finished once
> another command was added to the undo stack (needs changes of the current
> undo system), but I'm not sure how stable that would be or if it works with
> all commands e.g. transactions.

I think we should strive to maintain the 1.6 behaviour here.

> As we are near the release implementing the new behaviour might too
> intrusive or break the feature freeze, this might be skiped to 2.1. So we
> could either ship the current state, exclude the transform tool from the
> release or restore the behavior from 1.6 which should be rather easy.

I'd say that these things would be bug fixes, but they might be hard to do;
there's much lower hanging fruit. But whoever feels called to work on it, feel
free. Let's postpone the decision to exclude the transform tool from 2.0 to
the last moment, though.