The future of the dynamic brush

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Apr 8 20:12:23 CEST 2009

On Saturday 04 April 2009, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been thinking lately about the future of the dynamic brush, and how
> to improve its UI, and I have come to the logical conclusion that it needs
> to disappear. But some parts of it would need to survive:
>
> * kis_dynamic_sensor : this is a class that allow to choose which input
> events change a value (between "pressure, tilt, time, random, speed....") *

Yes -- something like this was projected to become part of the KisPreset api,
because we'd want store those with the presets. Also, I wanted to use
something like this to make it possible to change values using, for instance,
keyboard shortcuts.

But, as we are right now discusson on irc, this needs a bit of proper and
explicit design.

> kis_dynamic_coloring : this is a class that allow to manipulate the color
> painted by the painting op (current choice: plain color, gradient (the
> color change depending on a sensor following a gradient), uniform random
> color (the color is changed at each stroke), random color (each pixel is
> random) ), it also allow have four options: mix (which color of the
> gradient is selected), hue, saturation and value

Yes, this should become a KisColoringOption.

> As a first step, I would move those class (and their kids) to libpaintop.

That would be great. I think the scattering option could also be in here, as
just another KisPaintopOption brush engine authors can add to their brush
engine.

> Then at the top of kis_curve_option.h, I would add the selector of
> kis_dynamic_sensor, then in each kis_pressure_*_option I would make use of
> the sensor.

Probably also the brush selection option where it could be used to cycle
through brush shapes/sizes/spacing -- depending on the user's selection.

> The second step would be to include the coloring options to the brush op
> and pen op.
>
> What do you think ?

Sounds like a good plan.