The future of the dynamic brush

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Thu Apr 9 13:25:51 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 08 April 2009, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Saturday 04 April 2009, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been thinking lately about the future of the dynamic brush, and
> > how to improve its UI, and I have come to the logical conclusion that it
> > needs to disappear. But some parts of it would need to survive:
> >
> > * kis_dynamic_sensor : this is a class that allow to choose which input
> > events change a value (between "pressure, tilt, time, random, speed....")
> > *
>
> Yes -- something like this was projected to become part of the KisPreset
> api, because we'd want store those with the presets. Also, I wanted to use
> something like this to make it possible to change values using, for
> instance, keyboard shortcuts.
>
> But, as we are right now discusson on irc, this needs a bit of proper and
> explicit design.

Somehow I think it is two different kind of things. We already have two ways of
changing the parameters:
* "static" : it is currently set with the paintop widget (I think of brush
radius, fade...)
* "dynamic" : changed while painting using the information from
KisPaintInformation coming from mouse/tablet events

The sensor idea is a solution for the "dynamic" changes, and allow to use
different things than pressure, and they work on KisPaintInformation. While I
think the keyboard shortcuts would trigger a change in the static parameters.

Basically, the main use case I see for keyboard shortcuts are:
* increase/decrease the size of a brush without going through the widget (with
+/- and/or mouse wheel)
* switch between paintop pressets

> > Then at the top of kis_curve_option.h, I would add the selector of
> > kis_dynamic_sensor, then in each kis_pressure_*_option I would make use
> > of the sensor.
>
> Probably also the brush selection option where it could be used to cycle
> through brush shapes/sizes/spacing -- depending on the user's selection.
I am not sure what you mean by that ?

Thinking of spacing, should I add a spacing slider to the autobrush ?
--
Cyrille Berger