Krita 2.0 and the freehand drawing tool

Moritz Moeller mnm at dneg.com
Wed May 7 13:22:50 CEST 2008

Valerie wrote:
> Could it also be implemented as back-end for raster guided
> painting? Like with the path tool, the full stroke will only be
> rendered once the full path is drawn, but the freehand approach
> may be more intuitive for many while also allowing incredibly
> smooth lines.

It would be kick ass if strokes could be objects, so you could delete
them and change their style, long after putting them down.
They could live on a "stroke layer" type that stores & renders them. To
the outside, this layer would just look like a normal bitmap, but it
would be truly resolution independent (at least to a certain degree --
unless the image swept along a stroke is a bitmap itself).

> Eventually I hope to see this tool combined with a "Set to stroke
> length" feature that will only be available with this and the path
> tool. It basically calculates the total length of the stroke, and
> maps a fade effect onto the exact length (size fade for example),
> so you don't have to adjust the length parameter every time.

Yes, this is something Photoshop lacks (you can only set the fade length
in pixels, not relative to the stroke length).
And it is sooooooo useful, it can't be stressed enough. :)

.mm