Krita 2.0 and the freehand drawing tool

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Wed May 7 11:31:01 CEST 2008

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Valerie <valerie_vk at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've just installed the alpha version of KOffice 2.0 (it turns out
> I don't even have to install Kde 4 first!)

I'm pretty sure you have KDE 4, at least kdelibs etc.

Krita 2.0 seem to be shaping up nicely (although it is still rather
> on the unstable side, in particular with the dockers), but there
> are already a number of promising features.
>
> In particular, my compliments for whoever coded the freehand
> drawing tool! That tool is Incredibly smooth and pleasant to use.

That tool has been in Karbon for several years. With flake it's now possible
to use it in Krita too.

Could it also be implemented as back-end for raster guided
> painting? Like with the path tool, the full stroke will only be
> rendered once the full path is drawn, but the freehand approach
> may be more intuitive for many while also allowing incredibly
> smooth lines.

Yes, that's possible. I already did that with the curve tool, which strokes
a vector path with the current brush.
This was discussed before and is on my todo, but not much priority at the
moment.

Planned is that the tools should be able to create editable shapes that use
Krita brushes. I'm not sure if adding a third freehand tool would be a good
idea, as that could confuse many users.