Krita Workspace Proposal + Mock-ups

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Jan 29 23:25:19 CET 2008

On Sunday 27 January 2008 04:37:09 pm Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Sunday 27 January 2008, John Culleton wrote:
> > I have may regular Slack 12 partition which has KDE 3.5.8 and a bleeding
> > edge Kubuntu  partition that has the (non-functional) KDE 4.0. I prefer
> > functional to non-functional and I prefer Slack to any form of Debian.
> >
> > Is there a way to download just the Krita 2.0 source code separately,
> > compile it, and bring over the updated libraries from the Kubuntu
> > partition as needed?
>
> svn co https://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/koffice koffice-src
> mkdir koffice-build
> cd koffice-build
> cmake ../koffice-src -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/some/where
> ccmake . (and there you can disable all application you don't want to build
> set to off all BUILD_something except BUILD_krita)
> make; make install
>
> > Life would be simpler and Krita more attractive if it were separated from
> > Koffice, but I guess that decision is already cast in concrete, or at
> > least macadam.
>
> Simpler for who ?
> Please read
> http://cyrilleberger.blogspot.com/2006/12/why-krita-require-lcms-qt-koffice
>lib.html .
>
> As for build complexity, I have started a project of "weekly" package for
> KOffice, but it's currently limited to OpenSuSE (it will be extended at a
> later stage to other distributions) and I didn't have time to spend time on
> it recently :/

Well, simpler for me as a user. Remember I can download many other graphic
programs and compile them with little or no effort. If a library comes up
missing then I have to find that library, put it in /usr/lib, run ldconfig
and try again. I am thinking of Gimp, Scribus  and so on.  But Krita has
unique features. It is does some Gimp-like tasks, but will also work in the
CMYK color model, which Gimp won't.  I would like to try Krita 2.0 sometime.
But I am not going to make a career of it :<)

I guess I'll have to wait for KDE 4.1 to be released. Thanks for your help.

--
John Culleton