Good article about usability of open-source apps

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Aug 6 15:26:59 CEST 2008

<sven.langkamp at gmail.com>wrote:
> > It's not time that's the problem. If I spend more time on designing an
> > interface it could be worse in the end.
>
> Yeah, I understand.  I can't remember - are there many (any?) power users
> (graphic designers, etc.) on the list who can give feedback like that?
>
> I started playing around with 1.6 a while back, but then moved to the mac,
> and haven't had time to try to get Krita running on it.

That will be a lot easier with 2.0: http://mac.kde.org/ includes KOffice and
thus krita :-)

> My professional background includes 10 years of software dev experience,
> plus 2 years and counting in product management, but I'm also a
> photographer and digital artist - http://synergisticimages.ca - my first
> solo show starts soon, in fact.   I use the gimp currently for my art work.

I remember having seen those before -- they're wonderful!

> I'm actually quite interested in moving to a 16 bit process for my
> art-work, so as soon as I dig myself out of some other life-obligations, I
> hope to install Krita 2 and start using it for my art.   I'm certainly
> happy to provide feedback on the UI, and maybe even patches if I have
> enough time.
>
> On a somewhat related note - how is the stability of Krita 2 going?   Last
> I checked it was still not quite ready for prime-time.   Has that changed?

It's not ready yet -- we've still got some problems with filter masks,
selections (mainly visualisation) and some other things, but progress is
really good. I was going to have two weeks of concentrated Krita hacking, but
we're already at Wednesday of the first week, and I've been able to do
precisely nothing :-(