Introduction and New Composite Ops - Hard light and Soft Light

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Fri Sep 7 09:09:20 CEST 2007

On Friday 07 September 2007, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Friday 07 September 2007 03:41, Warren Baird wrote:
> > That's good to hear...   One of the things I'd like to experiment with
> > is in creating new and interesting composite modes...   Initially I'll
> > probably do it by just recompiling krita --- but that isn't necessarily
> > an ideal solution.   Has any thought been given to making composite ops
> > plug ins?
>
> Yes, and we've gone a bit in that direction in 2.0, by making composite ops
> separate classes. It would be fairly simple to make composite ops plug-ins
> now.
We might want to have a new kind of plugins for colorspaces extension, that
could be usefull for color transformations as well.

> > Or even a 'live' composite op, where users can specify
> > formulas interactively?    I'm guessing that an interpreted language
> > would be way too slow, but maybe some kinda magic that compiled a shared
> > object on the fly and linked it in...
>
> Cool idea... I don't think the compiling-on-the-fly would work; but we
> could either smile winningly at our opengl guru's, Adrian and Tom, and ask
> them how hard it would be to allow glsl shaders for composite ops, or we
> could use one of the exising math packages to specify formulas that get
> executed.
Or we could use CTL. It's exactly what it is supposed to do. Ah if there
wasn't that licence issue...

> Or we could create a special kind of group node or filter node
> that processes two layers to produce one result and make this work with the
> existing glsl filter plugin.
That would be needed as well if we want to integrate some kind of "advanced"
non destructive blending (think of enblend).

--
Cyrille Berger