Krita use in VFX

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Tue Jun 12 17:09:26 CEST 2007

> yes it does. Although a very important feature request I have is this:
> the ability to specify colour values between 0..1 instead of 0..255 (the
> latter makes not much sense in anything but an 8bit image). But most
> important: the ability specify & use use color values above 1 and below
> 0 (negative). That's one the main reasons to use float and very
> important when editing HDR images.
>
> This could be either done through an added "intensity" slider (maybe
> 'luminosity' or 'lightness' is more appropriate, have to read Poynton's
> colour FAQ...) or by allowing the user to enter values above one into
> the resp fields in the colour palette(s) if the mode if float.
>
> In either case the displayed colour should be normalized & clamped, to
> be meaningful: i.e.
> RGB(6, 3, -1) will have a swatch showing RGB(1, 0.5, 0.33).
> It would probably be useful then to have negative colours display as
> normalized clamped inverted with an indicator in the swatch (a little
> '-' sign) to indicate what they will be doing to a positive colour when
> applied)
>
> Hope that makes sense.

In fact, my plan for this was slightly different. Currently RGB is, indeed,
mapped from 0...255 to 0.0...1.0, and what I want to do is that the user
choose in the overview the exposure of the image, and that Krita uses that
exposure to map 0...255 to the range that fit the current exposure. That way,
the user select the exposure, and the color appears in the view as the user
has selected it.

> > [...] in 2.0 the metadata
> > framework is designed around XMP, which offers the flexibility which will
> > allow to easily save and load most kind of metadata, and it will comes
> > with an editor for it. So metadata won't be 1st class citizen (it's not
> > the primary goal of Krita), but the most important thing will be
> > available to the user.
>
> That sounds awesome. I contacted some people for some more info on TIFF
> tags. There's e.g. tags in TIFF that tell an app to flip the image
> vertically or horizontally etc.
Like this one
http://www.awaresystems.be/imaging/tiff/tifftags/orientation.html ? :)
Those one are very well documented. orientation is even part of the baseline
standard.

--
Cyrille Berger