Krita use in VFX

Moritz Moeller mnm at dneg.com
Tue Jun 12 16:29:57 CEST 2007

Cyrille Berger wrote:
>> No, it's a 32bit float single channel tiff (grayscale, if you want)
>> containing multiple layers for mip-mapping:
> It's, indead, not supported (but Krita should fail and not crash) :/ In fact
> Krita only supports reading from tiff file what it can use internally, the
> main idea is to wait for user to request support before adding it. Does a
> 32bit float single channel image works the same way as a 32bit float RGB
> image ? If that's the case, it should be pretty easy to add support for it.

yes it does. Although a very important feature request I have is this:
the ability to specify colour values between 0..1 instead of 0..255 (the
latter makes not much sense in anything but an 8bit image). But most
important: the ability specify & use use color values above 1 and below
0 (negative). That's one the main reasons to use float and very
important when editing HDR images.

This could be either done through an added "intensity" slider (maybe
'luminosity' or 'lightness' is more appropriate, have to read Poynton's
colour FAQ...) or by allowing the user to enter values above one into
the resp fields in the colour palette(s) if the mode if float.

In either case the displayed colour should be normalized & clamped, to
be meaningful: i.e.
RGB(6, 3, -1) will have a swatch showing RGB(1, 0.5, 0.33).
It would probably be useful then to have negative colours display as
normalized clamped inverted with an indicator in the swatch (a little
'-' sign) to indicate what they will be doing to a positive colour when
applied)

Hope that makes sense.

> [...] in 2.0 the metadata
> framework is designed around XMP, which offers the flexibility which will
> allow to easily save and load most kind of metadata, and it will comes with
> an editor for it. So metadata won't be 1st class citizen (it's not the
> primary goal of Krita), but the most important thing will be available to the
> user.

That sounds awesome. I contacted some people for some more info on TIFF
tags. There's e.g. tags in TIFF that tell an app to flip the image
vertically or horizontally etc.

Cheers,

Moritz