paintbrush bristles configuration

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Apr 17 09:13:52 CEST 2007

On Sunday 15 April 2007, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Sunday 15 April 2007, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Apr 2007, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > > So everybody agrees ?
> >
> > Er, no, but real life interfered while I was writing an answer -- I think
> > that we're still in too experimental a phase to define a bristle class
> > that can be used across paintops. So I would prefer it if you could keep
> > this inside the dynamic paintop for now.

> Then comes the question of how to show the configuration to the user ?

Either we define a new docker that can hold the paintop information, including
bristles (and I think that before 2.0 is released we will know enough to
create a special bristle widget). Or we can use drop-down dialogs from the
toolbar strip, similar to what Photoshop does for its brush information.

What we really, really need to watch out for is conflating tools and paintops.
Tools should not and do not need to know anything about paintops, and vice
versa. Tools are just, as Casper said before, "guides" for the place where
painting happens, nothing more. Freehand, from vectors, rects or ellipses.

The difference between brush and paintop is harder to make, and not all
paintops will be able to use the gimp-style potato stamp brushes, and that's
fine. That the brush shape is set on the painter is a very ancient historical
artefact, nothing more.