Fwd: [Scribus] Converting graphics to CMYK with free software tools

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Sep 22 14:37:43 CEST 2006

Hi Axel,

Petr Vanek forwarded you mail to the krita mailing list. I hope you don't mind
me approaching you directly about the issues you had?

> (Krita tells me it is "sRGB built-in (lcms internal)"

* Krita always manages its colors, so when we load an RGB image without a
colour profile, we assign the default lcsm sRGB profile to the image.

> * Krita: I used "CMYK 8 bit integer channel" and "perceptual", but when
> I try to open the same file with Krita again it gives me a "could not
> open (...) Reason: parsing error". I think they really are broken
> because they don't show up in Konqueror and not in Scribus.

I cannot reproduce this with 1.6, which may mean that either there was a bug
in Krita 1.5 or that Krita has a problem with your icc profiles. I don't have
those profiles, so I cannot test with them -- could you mail me the .icc
files at boud at valdyas.org?

> BTW: I tried to open the Gimp-file (.xcf) in krita, but the result was
> really bad, so I had to convert it first.

We use Image/GraphicsMagick to load xcf and that converter doesn't support
everything .xcf offers. We're currently not planning to write our own .xcf,
preferring instead on trying to get OpenRaster off the ground.