rename brightness/contrast filter

Sander Koning sanderkoning at kde.nl
Thu Oct 12 15:43:32 CEST 2006

Cyrille Berger wrote on 2006-10-12 15:23 +0200 regarding Re: rename brightness/contrast filter:
> > If you really want the filter to be obvious to everyone, more radical steps
> > are needed, perhaps even making it visible somewhere outside the Filters
> > menu.  The Filters menu is a good place to store effects like this - at
> > least for the ones acquainted with graphics processing and painter
> > applications, like you and me. But it may not be the place where everyone
> > looks for them. From Cyrille's post, I read that too many people can't find
> > this feature and I don't think that simply renaming it will help them find
> > it all of a sudden.
> actually too many people are finding it because they think brightness/contrast
> is an other filter, so they don't bother to look at it to do what they want,
> as they are looking for the "curve" keyword. Hence my propostion.

Hmmmz, okay. Just for my curiosity: what do people expect when they read
"brightness/contrast" then? Only being able to change them for the entire image
at once, with a slider?

> > I noticed that between 1.5 and 1.6 a number of filters were moved between
> > categories. It might be that we have to investigate where people would look
> > to find effects like this and rethink the idea of putting everything
> > together in one Filters menu... Perhaps that the new UI offers other
> > possibilities to make these effects easy to find?
>
> We allready have the filter gallery to help people discover new effects, and
> of course the manual.

> The menu needs a hierarchy, or it will soon explode.

IMO, it already did.  I can, and did, get lost in it.  It's better than with
some of our competitors, though :)

(Side note: KOffice and KDE menus in general tend to explode, so it is not
purely a Krita issue, and I don't mind it as long as stuff is easy to find.)

> As for filter that have
> move between 1.5 and 1.6, I am a little bit surprised, which one did move ?

For example (there are a few more):
- Filter > Blur > Pixelize became Filter > Artistic > Pixelize
- Filter > Decor > Round Corners became Filter > Map > Round Corners
- Filter > Other > Bumpmap became Filter > Map > Bumpmap