rename brightness/contrast filter

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Oct 12 16:02:01 CEST 2006

On Thursday 12 October 2006 15:43, Sander Koning wrote:
> Cyrille Berger wrote on 2006-10-12 15:23 +0200 regarding Re: rename
brightness/contrast filter:
> > > If you really want the filter to be obvious to everyone, more radical
> > > steps are needed, perhaps even making it visible somewhere outside the
> > > Filters menu.  The Filters menu is a good place to store effects like
> > > this - at least for the ones acquainted with graphics processing and
> > > painter applications, like you and me. But it may not be the place
> > > where everyone looks for them. From Cyrille's post, I read that too
> > > many people can't find this feature and I don't think that simply
> > > renaming it will help them find it all of a sudden.
> >
> > actually too many people are finding it because they think
> > brightness/contrast is an other filter, so they don't bother to look at
> > it to do what they want, as they are looking for the "curve" keyword.
> > Hence my propostion.
>
> Hmmmz, okay. Just for my curiosity: what do people expect when they read
> "brightness/contrast" then? Only being able to change them for the entire
> image at once, with a slider?

One of the things that may throw off photoshop users is the place of the
adjust submenu: photoshop places it in image (although the things work on
single layers, as far as I can tell). I cannot find anything in the Gimp
these days.

As for naming, I don't care much. Photoshop 5.5 has:

Levels: for the thingy with the sliders, which we don't have.
Curves: a combination of our color adjustment and brightness/contrast dialog
( I think -- select rgb and you get brightness/contrast.
Color Balance: three sliders going from cyan to red, magenta to green, yellow
to blue.
Brightness/contrast: with two sliders

The difficulty is that our brightness/contrast and our color adjustment are
both Curves, but I think that most problems will be solved if we implement
the levels thing and put the word "curve" in the menu options for our two
curve dialogs.

> For example (there are a few more):
> - Filter > Blur > Pixelize became Filter > Artistic > Pixelize
> - Filter > Decor > Round Corners became Filter > Map > Round Corners
> - Filter > Other > Bumpmap became Filter > Map > Bumpmap

Yes, I did a bit of reorganizing there now and then. Filter menus grow pretty
big; that's a fact of life all users of graphics apps should be reconciled
with.

It may be an option, at some point in time, to put the "adjust" filters again
in their own toplevel menu.