Floating point color in Krita

Mikhail Lyossin mlesin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 01:26:32 CET 2006

On 11/18/06, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:

> Beside the above a somewhat rhetoric question ;)
> What defines a gamut for HDR? .. display, printer?
>
> Scene refered is physically not gamut limited.
> As the physical medium is virtualised the gamut is physically unlimited.

True. It's a plus of HDR, not a minus! So here is nothing to do, it just may
keep all the colors we can imagine. Thats all. On the other hand, we will
need gamut warning (with ability to turn it off) when this image will be
shown (on display), for areas where colors was clamped during tone mapping
process at least in one channel (in both positive and negative spaces), to
warn user that there is "false" color in these areas. That doesn't mean
there is no data, but that means you can't see it now.
This way D2Software Nuke (www.d2software.com) compositing application works,
for example.

Except probably a colour falling outside the human colour response
> functions. Gamut limits would then become human medium refered. Thats
> still a university theme, is'n it?

I think you went too far from original idea. What you say here is a
university theme maybe, but I don't think anyone needs these results in
Krita =)