Floating point color in Krita

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Sat Nov 18 11:03:06 CET 2006

Am 18.11.06, 03:26 +0300 schrieb Mikhail Lyossin:

> On 11/18/06, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> > Beside the above a somewhat rhetoric question ;)
> > What defines a gamut for HDR? .. display, printer?
> >
> > Scene refered is physically not gamut limited.
> > As the physical medium is virtualised the gamut is physically unlimited.
>

> True. It's a plus of HDR, not a minus! So here is nothing to do, it just may
> keep all the colors we can imagine. Thats all. On the other hand, we will
> need gamut warning (with ability to turn it off) when this image will be
> shown (on display), for areas where colors was clamped during tone mapping
> process at least in one channel (in both positive and negative spaces), to
> warn user that there is "false" color in these areas. That doesn't mean
> there is no data, but that means you can't see it now.
> This way D2Software Nuke (www.d2software.com) compositing application works,
> for example.
>
> Except probably a colour falling outside the human colour response
> > functions. Gamut limits would then become human medium refered. Thats
> > still a university theme, is'n it?
> >

> I think you went too far from original idea. What you say here is a
> university theme maybe, but I don't think anyone needs these results in
> Krita =)

A application had to decide wether to:
o staying with ICC proofing gamut warnings for proofing
o mark only outside tonemapped results, what is not visible on screen

or both?

The above options have distinguished audiences, which can easily confuse.
The first marks all changes compared to a simulated output process, while
the later just non tonemapable colours. Most users today need the first
option as they work in a media centric way.

It is at least necessary to find a relyable distinction between both.

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management
                                + imaging / panoramas