Floating point color in Krita

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Sat Nov 18 01:04:44 CET 2006

Am 18.11.06, 00:22 +0100 schrieb Bart Coppens:

> On Saturday 18 November 2006 00:09, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> > cmsFLAGS_GAMUTCHECK is to be set in the flags of lcms and the out of gamut
> > colours elsewhere.
> Yes, but that is only with creating a proofing transform. But suppose we want
> the user of Krita to be able to _select_ pixels that will be out of gamut for
> a certain profile. Or, like this thread suggested: what if the user wants to
> select a color in an input widget, and wants to be warned if the color he
> selected will be out of gamut when he paints with it?
> I don't think that can be done with just using a proofing transform, or can
> it?
>
> Bart

Well this is the usual way: paint into a gamut checked canvas and you will
instantly see if the painted colour is out of gamut.
CinePaint works this way. Only our colour selector is miles behind that :(

Your fortune in Krita is, you have one image at once and the colour
selector can allways show the correct gamut boundary set for that canvas.

Beside the above a somewhat rhetoric question ;)
What defines a gamut for HDR? .. display, printer?

Scene refered is physically not gamut limited.
As the physical medium is virtualised the gamut is physically unlimited.
Except probably a colour falling outside the human colour response
functions. Gamut limits would then become human medium refered. Thats
still a university theme, is'n it?

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management