Layer usuability idea

Casper Boemann cbr at boemann.dk
Sun Nov 6 19:35:00 CET 2005

On Sunday 06 November 2005 14:12, Mr YouP wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I'm still following Krita's developpment with ot of interrest. Thinking
> about it and about what annoying me in current painting software I'm using,
> I've got an idea which derivated of the way Krita handle selection.
>
> It's about layers, when I'm painting on an image I very often paint on the
> "bad" layer (mean I though I was on a layer and actually I'm painting on
> the one just next to). So I said to myself, why not have a mode that
> display the current layer in the way that Krita display a selection (select
> part/layer in "clear", the other filtered by a light color). That should be
> an optionnal mode of course. We can also imagine that each layer could have
> is own color that we can figured in a second wich part of image own to
> which layer.
>
> Just an idea I want to give...
Well I can understand where it comes from, but I see some problems:

We can't choose just any color for every layer. To preserve visibility in all
cases only 6 different colors can be used to "shade" away. So lets just
settle on say green for all inactive layers

That is only a minor issue so lets put that aside.

Now on the positive side of your idea is that it provides a visual cue to the
user, which is always good, and being able to turn it off is fine too.

It's in the details I see a problem. How much of the display should be "green"
and wouldn't that signal that this is an untouchable area of the image(which
it isn't).

Should only the non transparent area of other layers be green? And what if
that hides some of the layer.

nice idea, and please try it out, but in the end i don't think it'll work -
let's see though.

--
best regards / venlig hilsen
Casper Boemann