Crop Tool

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Mar 28 20:03:09 CEST 2005

On Monday 28 March 2005 19:47, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> * Boudewijn Rempt -- Monday 28 March 2005 19:29:
> > I think that unsetting the crop coordinates when the tool is deactivated
> > for another tool would be a good idea, though.
>
> What annoys me in GIMP is this: I set the crop rectange to an exact size,
> which is often required for submitting thumbnails, but then I notice, that
> I need to scale the image down a bit more. The rectangle disappears. I
> select the crop tool again, and: have to set the 171x128 again. Damn! But
> the object does still not fit in the frame, and there we go again. Why do
> I have to set one and the same size again and again and again?!?

Hm... Good point.

> I'd like the crop tool to open in the last selected size. This is a great
> help if you need the same size, but shouldn't disturb otherwise. Just make
> a new selection, what you would have had to do anyway.

So -- selecting the crop tool should restore the marquee using the last used
values. That's something we can do in the activate(), or rather, we should
re-display the marquee in the activate, because the values remain stored
already at present.

> Another thing that GIMP does and that is nice: the rectangle is
> key-controlled:
>
>   <cursor-keys> ... move rectangle pixel wise (or in bigger steps with
> SHIFT) CTRL-<cursor> ... change rectangle size pixels wise (or in bigger
> steps with SHIFT)

Dragging a handle with shift pressed should constrain the proportions of the
rectangle, I feel. In general, if the Gimp and Photoshop -- version 5.5,
because that's the version I've got a manual for -- differ, I tend to go with
the Photoshop way of working. If you've ever tried to follow the tour of
Photoshop using the Gimp (just given that a try...), you'll know which of the
two is better thought-through. Not that I want to copy either application: if
we have a better way, we should follow our own way.

> PS: I just subscribed as a lurker, and intended to keep my mouth shot. But

:-). Well, I don't mind -- this was a constructive suggestion, and I need to
have some reading matter during long compiles.