Steps in strokes

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Jun 21 15:17:07 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 21 June 2005 14:57, Casper Boemann wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 June 2005 14:28, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > On Tuesday 21 June 2005 14:20, Casper Boemann wrote:
> > > How about how hard you press and angle of application.
> >
> > We already have pressure sensitivy and tilt isn't supported yet because
> > nobody has got a tablet with tilt support (the newest wacom stylus even
> > has twist support: 6 degrees of freedom, just like a real brush...)
>
> Yes but if we really want to simulate real painting we would then want to
> store distance * pressure, and not just distance. Do we not?

Ah, you mean report that data back to the tool.

> And even better would be if tilt was storeable too , but there my
> imagination stops as to how to easily store that bit of info. It would be
> cool however to wear a pencil down on one side and then twisting or tiling
> it to get a sharper line from the other side. The same with brushes where
> paint would be used on one side of the brush but not the other.

Or even complex loaded -- left blue, right green.

> > Pixels, probably. That's what we use in gradients, too. Besides, images
> > don't have a native resolution, really, if you look at the various dpi
> > ratios of screen, tablet and printer.
>
> well in photoshop images have a metric size. The dpi of screen,printer is
> the used to get it displayed right. Much like color profiles.

I've had a long discussion about resolution with someone whose name has
temporarily escaped my mind; the image resolution mockup in the imagesize
plugin was the result of that. It should actually be quite easy to implement
-- then 1:1 zoomed image would be as big on screen as on paper (given a
correct dpi for X11, of course), but you still have a problem with the tablet
that has a more pixels per square inch than the screen. Or at least, mine
has, because it's the smallest, cheapest model wacom.