Steps in strokes

Casper Boemann cbr at boemann.dk
Tue Jun 21 14:57:03 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 21 June 2005 14:28, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 June 2005 14:20, Casper Boemann wrote:
> > How about how hard you press and angle of application.
>
> We already have pressure sensitivy and tilt isn't supported yet because
> nobody has got a tablet with tilt support (the newest wacom stylus even has
> twist support: 6 degrees of freedom, just like a real brush...)
Yes but if we really want to simulate real painting we would then want to
store distance * pressure, and not just distance. Do we not?

And even better would be if tilt was storeable too , but there my imagination
stops as to how to easily store that bit of info. It would be cool however to
wear a pencil down on one side and then twisting or tiling it to get a
sharper line from the other side. The same with brushes where paint would be
used on one side of the brush but not the other.

> > But to answer you question I think distance as this is the natural thing.
> > Steps is only an implementation. Should distance then be pixels or actual
> > distance based on resolution?
>
> Pixels, probably. That's what we use in gradients, too. Besides, images
> don't have a native resolution, really, if you look at the various dpi
> ratios of screen, tablet and printer.
well in photoshop images have a metric size. The dpi of screen,printer is the
used to get it displayed right. Much like color profiles.

--
best regards / venlig hilsen
Casper Boemann