Fwd: [Lcms-user] 2 Linux profile packages

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Jun 6 08:51:36 CEST 2005

I didn't do my homework yesterday, but the attached mail to the lcms list
shows that we should use lcms as much as possible for all our xyz/lab/srgb
conversion and profiling needs -- and we should include these profiles in
Krita as soon as we support xyz/lab.

We should lcms as much as possible, it gives us an accuracy that it would be
folly to try to reimplement ourselves. In particular, the transformation of
rgb (for instance, from a digital photo) to cmyk shouldn't be done through
some home-grown xyz function, but with lcms.

Same with painting on cmyk: an rgb color from a color selector should be
transformed using the lcms transform of (rgb + display profile) to (cmyk +
cmyk layer profile) -- we shouldn't try to do an intermediary transform
through xyz here. lcms can do out of gamut warning, by the way, making all
out-of-gamut colors a bilious green or orange. We should add this to the
toQImage routine in kis_colorspace_cmyk.