renaming of selection tools

Casper Boemann cbr at
Wed Jul 13 14:13:20 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 13:48, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > And "select contiguous" should be "flood selecting" or "select flood"
> > This one is called "magic wand" in photoshop and possible other
> > applications too. In fact our icon is a magic wand which seem a bit
> > confusing. However I don't think we should call it magic wand - it is
> > pretty non-descriptive for new users. I just learned that now, and I have
> > been using photoshop on and off for a number of years, but have never
> > felt compelled to learn a tool with such a weird name. Had the name said
> > "this is what I do - I might be useful" then I would have investigated it
> > further. "Select contiguous" is not too bad, but since the function is
> > very similar to normal flood filling I think that "flood selecting" would
> > be more descriptive.
> Do we have floodfill as a user-visible somewhere? I thought we didn't. If
> so, I'd be for renaming it to "fill contiguous area" because floodfill is a
> term that's bound to be incomprehensible to non-programmers. I agree that
> magic want is a useless name, and perhaps we should replace the icon with a
> fill bucket in a selection area?
Ok I buy this one. So "Select contiguous" it is. And the icon idea I like too, 
especially if we change "Fill" to "Fill contiguous"

> > The "selection picker" should be "select similar" because that it what it
> > does. It doesn't pick anything - not like the color picker anyway
> Well... It selects pixels with a color similar to the color you pick;
> that's why it's got a color picker icon. That's where it got its name. The
> Photoshop equivalent is the select-by-colorrange dialog.
I still like "Select similar" better. Your argument could just as well have 
applied to "select contiguous" it also picks the color and floods with it as 
an argument.

I don't think the picker has much to do with the function of this tool. 
Consequently the icon should be changed too. I just don't know to what. 
Perhabs an equal sign in a selection area.

> One selection tool we really sorely miss is the lasso tool, by the way.
Yes, but now that we have "Freehand Select" it should be a bit easier to 

Also. the names are sometimes "Select xxx" and sometimes "xxx Select"

But anyway the selections tools should work like the paint tools right? With 
freehand,rect,.. choosen seperately from the paint tool

best regards / venlig hilsen
Casper Boemann

More information about the kimageshop mailing list