renaming of selection tools

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Jul 13 13:48:21 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 13:41, Casper Boemann wrote:
> I'm writing the selection chapter of the manual and it hidme that we should
> rename the two special select tools "selection picker" and "select
> contiguous"
>
> The "selection picker" should be "select similar" because that it what it
> does. It doesn't pick anything - not like the color picker anyway

Well... It selects pixels with a color similar to the color you pick; that's
why it's got a color picker icon. That's where it got its name. The Photoshop
equivalent is the select-by-colorrange dialog.

> And "select contiguous" should be "flood selecting" or "select flood"
> This one is called "magic wand" in photoshop and possible other
> applications too. In fact our icon is a magic wand which seem a bit
> confusing. However I don't think we should call it magic wand - it is
> pretty non-descriptive for new users. I just learned that now, and I have
> been using photoshop on and off for a number of years, but have never felt
> compelled to learn a tool with such a weird name. Had the name said "this
> is what I do - I might be useful" then I would have investigated it
> further. "Select contiguous" is not too bad, but since the function is very
> similar to normal flood filling I think that "flood selecting" would be
> more descriptive.

Do we have floodfill as a user-visible somewhere? I thought we didn't. If so,
I'd be for renaming it to "fill contiguous area" because floodfill is a term
that's bound to be incomprehensible to non-programmers. I agree that magic
want is a useless name, and perhaps we should replace the icon with a fill
bucket in a selection area?

One selection tool we really sorely miss is the lasso tool, by the way.