renaming of selection tools

Casper Boemann cbr at
Wed Jul 13 13:41:03 CEST 2005

I'm writing the selection chapter of the manual and it hidme that we should rename the two special select tools "selection picker" and "select contiguous"

The "selection picker" should be "select similar" because that it what it does. It doesn't pick anything - not like the color picker anyway

And "select contiguous" should be "flood selecting" or "select flood"
This one is called "magic wand" in photoshop and possible other applications too. In fact our icon is a magic wand which seem a bit confusing. However I don't think we should call it magic wand - it is pretty non-descriptive for new users. I just learned that now, and I have been using photoshop on and off for a number of years, but have never felt compelled to learn a tool with such a weird name. Had the name said "this is what I do - I might be useful" then I would have investigated it further.
"Select contiguous" is not too bad, but since the function is very similar to normal flood filling I think that "flood selecting" would be more descriptive.

What do you think?

best regards / venlig hilsen
Casper Boemann
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

More information about the kimageshop mailing list