For the next release

Bart Coppens kde at bartcoppens.be
Thu Aug 11 15:37:03 CEST 2005

On Thursday 11 August 2005 14:04, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> I'd like to give the next release the codename Kandinsky. I found a nice
> splash screen image the other day :-).
A word of warning here. Belgian law says that works are in copyright for 70
years after the death of the author (there are of course exceptions, and
other things, but afaik they don't matter here). Now since, according to
wikipedia, Kandinsky died in 1944, all of his works are still copyrighted in
Belgium. And from what I can tell, the same goes for Germany as well. So it
would be a wise thing not to include his works as splash screen for Krita,
even though it would be very good looking and nice to have :-(

> * Colorspacee independence 20%
I'd love to see a better colorspaces as well here. (Think of
brightness/contrast for colorspaces other than rgba8, and so on)

> * Curves widget
> 	- anything else?
Maybe add a small popup menu? So that when you rightclick on a point it popups
with "Remove this point from the curve", or something like that.

> * Painterly features
> 	- run physics simulation in background with threads or times (essential!
> 	  for these features)
> 	- fix paintops to include bidi color transfer and running-out-of-paint
I don't know how feasible pure multithreading would be for Krita at the
moment. I fear it would require some locking/mutexes on layers, paintdevices
and so on. Personally I'd go with the timer for now.

> * Histogram
> 	- extend with historgram for all channels
Doesn't this work already?

> * Tile manager
> 	- malloc cache
If all goes well this will be no problem to have in the next release.

> Of course, there's the rest of the TODO list, but I guess that adjusment
> layers are out of reach, even for an early 2006 release. We also need, I
> think, to go through another make-it-stable phase, especially with regards
> to colorspace independence.
Yes, I fully agree here.

> On the other hand, while I really want to share what we have as soon as
> possible, and preferably before some of our unique features are implemented
> by other applications, I also want Kandinsky to really amaze people.
That's what beta releases are for :-) A long beta period gives us a relaxed
time to fix issues while people can already test things out in a (more or
less) working environment.

Bart Coppens