For the next release

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Aug 11 15:46:33 CEST 2005

On Thursday 11 August 2005 15:37, Bart Coppens wrote:

> A word of warning here. Belgian law says that works are in copyright for 70
> years after the death of the author (there are of course exceptions, and
> other things, but afaik they don't matter here). Now since, according to
> wikipedia, Kandinsky died in 1944, all of his works are still copyrighted
> in Belgium. And from what I can tell, the same goes for Germany as well. So
> it would be a wise thing not to include his works as splash screen for
> Krita, even though it would be very good looking and nice to have :-(

Zut. Wouldn't it fall under citation rights? I mean, there are plenty of
websites that have a little Kandinsky here and there.

> I'd love to see a better colorspaces as well here. (Think of
> brightness/contrast for colorspaces other than rgba8, and so on)

My first priority is fix the default implementations for all the functions;
those will be slow, and then we can do the optimized implementations in the
independent colorspaces.

> > * Curves widget
> > 	- anything else?
>
> Maybe add a small popup menu? So that when you rightclick on a point it
> popups with "Remove this point from the curve", or something like that.

That's up to Casper :-)

> > * Painterly features
> > 	- run physics simulation in background with threads or times (essential!
> > 	  for these features)
> > 	- fix paintops to include bidi color transfer and running-out-of-paint
>
> I don't know how feasible pure multithreading would be for Krita at the
> moment. I fear it would require some locking/mutexes on layers,
> paintdevices and so on. Personally I'd go with the timer for now.

Can you give it a try with the wet physics filter? It obviously cannot run the
entire image in one timer tick, so there should be something clever goingon.

> > * Histogram
> > 	- extend with historgram for all channels
>
> Doesn't this work already?

I meant a histogram for all channels combined in one histogram. (I.e,
different colors for each channel, but combined). Also Casper's remarks.

> > * Tile manager
> > 	- malloc cache
>
> If all goes well this will be no problem to have in the next release.

Good!

> That's what beta releases are for :-) A long beta period gives us a relaxed
> time to fix issues while people can already test things out in a (more or
> less) working environment.

I'll propose a long beta period at Akademy.