For the next release

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Aug 11 14:04:14 CEST 2005

"Shouldn't we start thinking about the next release" Casper asked on IRC --
and he was right. Here's the list of things that I feel are must-have's and
nice-to-have's for the next release, together with an estimation of how much
completed they are and maybe a few notes about what needs to be done.

Note that I don't know when the next release will be; if part of KOffice,
probably early 2006, which gives us some time, but maybe not enough to
implement the complete todo list.

I'd like to give the next release the codename Kandinsky. I found a nice
splash screen image the other day :-).

* Colorspacee independence 20%
	- make a base class for 8-bit/int, 16-bit/int colorspaces with common code
	- finish 16-bit xyz colorspace as the fallback for the colorspaces
	  with incomplete implemetations of the pixel processing functions
	- check all filters for use of rgb
* Colormanagement (60%)
	- check pasting of qimages. Krita should ask for a profile.
	- check whitepoint/blackpoint
	- nice-to-have: out-of-gamut warning
	- nice-to-have: cmyk color slider
* Toolbox (90 %)
	- fix last few bugs. Reorder tools, give freehand tool a new icon.
* Curves widget
	- add gradients below and on the left
	- anything else?
* Transform tool
	- when using the tool, transform the qimage, not the layer
	- on commit, transform the layer
	- fix any nasty bugs that are still left
* Color separation
	- Implement all the nice options in the dialog
	- nice-to-have: 16-bit grayscale color model
* dcop & scripting
	- add dcop interfaces to most of core (gives instant scriptability
	- nice-to-have: manage scripts from Krita itself (copy frop Kate or
	  kdevelop)
	- kiskjsembed (or kross? Cyrille?)
* Painterly features
	- run physics simulation in background with threads or times (essential!
	  for these features)
	- fix paintops to include bidi color transfer and running-out-of-paint
* Histogram
	- extend with historgram for all channels
* Tile manager
	- malloc cache
* User interface
	- fix zoom slider in overview
	- nice-to-have: add thumbnail navigation in bird's eyeview box
	- save & load palette positions
	- discuss & maybe fix embedding of other KOffice douments at Akademy
	- refactor layerbox (discuss at at Akademy with psn)
* Manual 20%

Bugs:

109974   wis   NOR   Gen   boud at valdyas.org   UNCO
	implementation of Salience-Preserving Color Removal
  110293   nor   NOR   Com   boud at valdyas.org   UNCO
	side panel "spinbox" focus prevents keyboard shortcuts fr...
  108428   wis   NOR   SuS   boud at valdyas.org   NEW
	Usability: no brush preview at the pointer
  109971   cra   NOR   Com   boud at valdyas.org   NEW
	Crash trying to DND while krita is working
  110187   nor   NOR   uns   boud at valdyas.org   NEW
	cancel in 'new image' dialog should quit krita
  39305   wis   NOR   Com   boud at valdyas.org   ASSI
	allowing removal of tabs to their own window
  90456   wis   NOR   uns   boud at valdyas.org   ASSI
	unshown/hidden layer could be manipulated
  106730   wis   NOR   Com   boud at valdyas.org   ASSI
	XCF import is limited
  106731   wis   NOR   Com   boud at valdyas.org   ASSI
	Gimp pipe brushes randomness is not properly supported by...
  107131   wis   NOR   Gen   boud at valdyas.org   ASSI
	Make the zoom tool a drop-down widget
  107348   nor   NOR   Com   boud at valdyas.org   ASSI
	Layerbox behaves badly when there are many layers
  108081   nor   NOR   Com   boud at valdyas.org   ASSI
	Kivio style dockers don't work
  108396   nor   NOR   uns   boud at valdyas.org   ASSI
	deadlock in 'want to save it' dialog
  108399   nor   NOR   uns   boud at valdyas.org   ASSI
	Allow Esc button to cancel a running operation
  109968   nor   NOR   uns   boud at valdyas.org   ASSI
	dcop rotate should provide image rotate
  110311   cra   NOR   uns   boud at valdyas.org   ASSI
	crash after selecting different templates
  107939   cra   NOR   Gen   boud at valdyas.org   REOP
	Krita crashes on opening attached image

Of course, there's the rest of the TODO list, but I guess that adjusment
layers are out of reach, even for an early 2006 release. We also need, I
think, to go through another make-it-stable phase, especially with regards to
colorspace independence.

On the other hand, while I really want to share what we have as soon as
possible, and preferably before some of our unique features are implemented
by other applications, I also want Kandinsky to really amaze people.

I'll go through the todo list with a fine comb again, because I see that it
contains things that have already been fixed.