Krita source & library layout reorganization

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Aug 4 14:26:50 CEST 2005

On Thursday 04 August 2005 14:09, Clarence Dang wrote:

> A Krita image library would certainly be ideal for KolourPaint.

It would be very good to have two users of a the library.

> I am sick
> of working around the bugs and esp. the limitations of the current Qt
> backend.

Do you know enough of shared libraries and so on to help with this? There are
a number of things that I simplly don't know how to do... Like making the
calls to the iterators inlined while they still ought to be in an interface.

> One thing I keep forgetting to bring up: You need to double check the
> licenses of some of the files you intend to put in your core image library.
> From memory, some of them are either GPL or QPL, not LGPL.  This is bad
> for closed source apps and also BSD licensed programs such as KolourPaint.
> One piece of code that comes to mind was either the tablet or smooth
> painting patch which was derived from QPL code but there was more.

The QPL bit is also GPLed -- and it's in the ui package. I don't know whether
that should or even could be in libkrita -- it looks very much application
specific.

It will be hard to ask all authors to change files from GPL to LGPL because
some of them cannot be reached anymore, like John Califf. But can't a BSD app
use a GPL library, as long as the license is the modified not the original
BSD license? I think you can do that.