Krita source & library layout reorganization

Clarence Dang dang at kde.org
Thu Aug 4 15:06:27 CEST 2005

On Thursday 04 August 2005 22:26, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Thursday 04 August 2005 14:09, Clarence Dang wrote:
> > I am sick of working around the bugs and esp. the limitations of the
> > current Qt backend.
>
> Do you know enough of shared libraries and so on to help with this?

Not really much about shared libraries but I would be happy to answer any
questions about binary compatibility experiences.  dfaure knows about the
build systems.

> There
> are a number of things that I simplly don't know how to do... Like making
> the calls to the iterators inlined while they still ought to be in an
> interface.

I'm not sure about this.  AFAIK, the only way you can inline them is if you
promise never to change the implementation.

> > One thing I keep forgetting to bring up: You need to double check the
> > licenses of some of the files you intend to put in your core image
> > library. From memory, some of them are either GPL or QPL, not LGPL.  This
> > is bad for closed source apps and also BSD licensed programs such as
> > KolourPaint. One piece of code that comes to mind was either the tablet
> > or smooth painting patch which was derived from QPL code but there was
> > more.
>
> The QPL bit is also GPLed -- and it's in the ui package. I don't know
> whether that should or even could be in libkrita -- it looks very much
> application specific.

As long as it's not in the lib, it will be fine.

> It will be hard to ask all authors to change files from GPL to LGPL because
> some of them cannot be reached anymore, like John Califf. But can't a BSD
> app use a GPL library,

No, the BSD work becomes GPL - GPL is viral.