Changing the default channel depth

Patrick Julien freak at codepimps.org
Mon Mar 8 13:27:40 CET 2004

On March 8, 2004 07:23 am, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Monday 08 March 2004 13:14, Patrick Julien wrote:
> > Maybe QUANTUM needs to be always 32 bit, no matter what the color channel
> > depth is.
>
> And what if QUANTUM needs to be raised to 64 bits -- to support the output
> from scanners, for instance?
>
> > I don't want to have to define variables of different type depending on
> > what channel you are working with.  That is just too much of a pain to
> > use.
>
> There must be some kind of a solution that doesn't demand shoehorning
> everthing from bitmaps to high-end slide scans into the same thing.

Maybe, but I would rather lose definition from scans then lose developers
because the API is to hard to use or too error prone.  Period.

Not only, but from what scanners?  Or am I missing something here.  We already
do scans using the kde libraries, or whatever it's called.  It doesn't
support passing in of 64 bit values.