Layers, layergroups, dockwindow, preview and dynamic layersize

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Jul 1 20:50:10 CEST 2004

On Thursday 01 July 2004 16:48, Casper Boemann wrote:

> Should we let the tools add the layer offsets ( as I have done with the pen
> tool)

No.

> or should it be handled by the paintdevice through translation of all
> coords.

Yes. In general, I want to make writing tools, filters and any other type of
image mangling as easy and as little work as possible. That means I want to
hide as much complexity as possible behind facades.

> The third option of painter taking coords in layer space (as it does now),
> and let the tools recieve coords also in layer space (of current layer) is
> a no-go, since tools may not act on the current layer. Think of the zoom
> tool.
>
> So what I'm asking is should painter take coords in
> a) image space
> b) layer space.

It's a matter of horses for courses -- some tools will no doubt need one,
other tools the other. So both must be available.

> by the way. The brush tools is already broken with respect to moved layers.

Ah, I didn't realize that...

> That bug has nothing to do with my changes. I only fixed it for the pen
> tool - but we should decide how our final solution should be. So this
> shouldn't hinder commiting.

Okay -- Adrian, I would really like your opinion on whether we should could
commit this now -- I am not too sure myself because it affects aspects of an
image app that I hadn't considered up to now.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi