Fill_painter broken and colordistance in autolayer

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Dec 27 17:33:47 CET 2004

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004, Bart Coppens wrote:

> Quoting Casper Boemann <cbr at boemann.dk>:
> > I can make a function that gives an estimate, but it is most probably not
> > what the user would expect. If I remember correctly photoshop limits the
> > flood by the image borders, perhabs we should do that too ? That is probably
> > also the most intuitive.
>
> That seems to be the best choice indeed. But I think there's a minor issue
> with this: what if the user has a layer with something painted on it, and
> moves the painted area out of the bounds of the image. What should happen if
> the user tries to fill the layer: I think I would expect the area moved out of
> the image would be filled as well, but with this filling it would only fill
> the area inside the image.

I've just tested it out with Photoshop 6.0, and this is what happens: a layer
starts as big as the image. If you move the layer into a certain direction, it
'grows' so the corner opposite the corner that is moved outside the image boundaries
stays at the image boundary. If you move it back, the layer starts to grow as soon as
the corner opposite the corner that's moved outside the image, so there's no
part possibility that a layer doesn't completely over the image.

Gradients and fills work outside the image boundaries, but not, obviously, outside
layer boundariers.

I think that I, on the principle of least surprise, want to have the same behaviour as
Photoshop, here.