Iterators, selection and a few broken things for now

Casper Boemann cbr at boemann.dk
Thu Dec 23 16:36:22 CET 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I am working on making the selection work with iterators, but to achieve
> > this I have broken the quantum iterators (which was planed to disapear
> > anyway), so functions which were relying on them would be broken
> > (gradient, histogram and filling).

In the autolayer branch I have removed them altogether.

> > And I have move the selections stuff from KisLayer to
> > KisPaintDevice, I do think that everything related to painting should be
> > put in KisPaintDevice and not in KisLayer.

Yes.

By the way on the branch I have implemented new iterators (because the
tilesystem have changed). I intend to either let you change the new iterators
to you liking or change your old iterators to be an adapter for the new
iterators. Thats up to you., Though I would prefer only one kind of
iterators.

However my point at this moment is that whatever you do regarding iterators
and selection is about to become obsolete. So don't put too much effort into
the implementation details, but please do think about the design so that it
can be implemented in the new iterators.

At the moment I have an HLineIterator (not commited yet) which is much like
your one-line-of-pixels iterator.

I have not made a replacement for your lineiterator as it seems to me that a
simple for-loop is all that's needed.

As I said I hope you are willing to change my iterators to your liking once I
commit so that we only have one kind of iterators. It's not that I don't like
your iterators it's just that it was easier to implement from scratch when
the tile-system has changed so much. And then I have another style, but I'm
willing to let you change that, if that means we will have only one type of
iterators.

best regards
Casper Boemann