krita and gegl

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat Aug 14 08:46:06 CEST 2004

On Saturday 14 August 2004 03:32, you wrote:

> I have found krita and since the gimp developers are putting the functions
> of gimp in a library (http://www.gegl.org/) I wondered if one of you is
> thinking about integrating the features this library will offer to you
> into krita.

No, because:

* Gegl isn't nearly done yet and development has been glacial for much of the
time, and still isn't actively developed.
* Gegl isn't what we need for Krita: the kind of functionality Gegl offers is
for the most part already present in Krita, and besides, there are other
libraries that offer more functionality, like Vigra and vips.
* Gegl uses glib's g_object stuff which I really, really hate to work with.
* There is no C++ wrapper for Gegl, and I prefer spending time on improving
Krita instead of writing C++ wrappers for other people's libraries.
* If we used Gegl, we wouldn't have to do any of the real fun parts ourselves.

> If not, could krita be a starting point for me wo write a gimp
> frontend on my own or is krita not desigend to integrate external libs (I
> think this should be no problem since you are using two external libs).

I don't think it would be worth it. Yes, we're using external libraries, like
Qt, kofficelibs, kdelibs, ImageMagick and littleCMS, but for the core of
Krita, we have our own code. A proclivity to ripping out that core and
substituting another has been the reason Krita has never been released even
if it has been in development since 1999. We've had a framebuffer core, an
improved framebuffer core, an ImageMagick core and Patrick Julien's
tile-core, which is the one we'll use (and improve).

My first concern is getting Krita out of the door. Mid to end September is my
target date for a first feature-complete-but-buggy preview.

If you want to write a frontent for gimp functionality using Qt, by all means,
do so. I don't think Krita's source would be able to offer you more than a
KDevelop template would, though.

> Please cc me, I am offlist.

Why? Why no subscription? It's free, and easily filtered. The question 'do you
use lib X for your core, and if not, why not' comes up so often on the
mailing list and dot.kde.org that we've got a kind of standard answer in
Krita's source: the IMAGE_LIBRARIES file lists a lot of image libraries.
--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi