WebCore 146

Dave Hyatt hyatt at apple.com
Wed Jul 7 00:38:19 CEST 2004

On Jul 3, 2004, at 9:57 AM, Zack Rusin wrote:

> Is there any reason why you decided against sending the incremental
> patches (around middle December if my memory serves) ?

Incremental patches for large features like HTML editing would have
been fairly pointless.  I'd argue that even merging it now in its
current state would be of little benefit.

> Even the ChangeLog isn't helpful anymore, because it simply lacks
> motiviation for most of the changes (you know yourself that without
> testcases, rdar://123456 references are hardly of any value). We're
> assuming that the <canvas> addition is for dashboard but again, we just
> don't know.

<canvas> is for Dashboard yes.

> Is there any way we'd get at least explanation of your motiviation for
> implementing some of the major features in 146?

Breaks down primarily into:
(1) Performance (style system improvements and atomization of attribute
values).  We're about 30% faster.
(2) HTML Editing (in the new subdir plus changes to line layout to make
it smarter about only repainting changed lines)
(3) Dashboard Support (new widgets input type=search, range and canvas
and composite attr on image)
(4) Bug Fixes

We could not show patches for (2) or (3).  I did send out the style
system improvements in (1) to khtml-devel.  I agree we could be better
about (4), but often these overlapped with work in (2).

dave